Friday, April 27, 2007

A viewfinder full of Angry Elephant.


A while back me and my mother and son went on holiday to stay in my brother's house in Alexandria, close to Kenton on Sea in the Eastern Cape.

My brother , Jaco , and his wife, Tanya, are game rangers at a luxurious game reserve called Shamwari, between P.E and Grahamstown.

They use the little house in Alex as a getaway on their weekends off. Whilst we were there we had the run of their house.

Jaco invited us to come and stay with them for a day or so on the reserve. We gladly accepted. While we were there , Jaco took us on a game drive in the Shamwari Land Cruser.

We spotted lots of game. At some point we spotted a lone elephant bull walking across the plains.
Jaco decided to drive closer as we were a long way of on a koppie. We set off in the general direction of where we saw the elephant.

As we rounded a turn , we were confronted by an angry bull elephant. This guy was not a happy camper. He was in must and had a terrible temper. I found myself clicking away feverishly while everybody else cowered in their seats and Jaco negotiated the terrain whilst trying to keep us out of the elephant's way. Tanya later remarked that all she heard whilst trying to hide under the dashboard was my camera's shutter clicking like crazy.

Upon retrospect I realize that I had complete confidence in my brother's driving skills and knowledge of animals. Because I could trust him to keep us safe, I could concentrate on getting the photo's I wanted.

Maybe that was a good lesson to learn in life. If I surround my self with people I can trust, then I can be free to pursue my dreams in life.

No comments: