Wednesday, May 02, 2007

High Speed photos


It has been a while since I last played with high speed photography. But this weekend I had a blast. Literally.

Between myself and two friends we shot at and destroyed 65 Osram 60w lightbubs. Thank goodness for digital cameras. If I had to do this on film I would have been broke.

So let us look at a quick howdunnit.


To get the image above I put my camera on a tripod with a cable release attached to the camera.
The lightbulb was placed in a light holder and switched on for a couple of minutes. (they explode better when heated up) . Two flashes (a Nikon Sb600 and Canon 550ex) were placed close to the bulb on the left hand side. The flashes were attached to a sound trigger that I built in 2005.

From there things were fairly simple. Lights off. studio fairly dark. Camera shutter opened with cable release. Shoot the bulb with a pellet gun. Flashes react to sound and illuminate the exploding bulb. Close camera shutter . and Voila.

Here are two more shot with a blowpipe. Only difference is that a third light with a blue filter attached was aimed at a whiteboard background. You can view more of these photos on my website at http://www.perfectpic.co.za














.

No comments: